Tuesday 16 March 2010

The Gorillaz Land Themselves In Hot Water?

 Writer: Ian S. Russell


British semi-virtual band The Gorillaz today find themselves (or at-least there management company) in hot water over an alleged copyright issue. Guyana born Eddy Grant - who has seen mediocre chart succsess since the late 70's has today released a press statement claiming he is 'very angry' and 'shocked' at the 'blatant rip off' of his track 'Time Warp'.
Grant claims that the title track from the new Gorillaz album: 'Stylo' is an almost identical copy of his track 'Time Warp'. 


An extract from the statement reads:
'"I am very angry that this was not picked up by our mutual publisher EMI's administration division. I do not blame my publishers but, the state of the industry at the current time with all labels and publishers folding into one and becoming incestuous. It’s such an obvious copy that from day one the band and their management should have taken control of this situation with EMI Publishing. I would like the outcome to be that the band admits that they have lifted my song, that I have a full credit for the song and an apology from the band.' Eddy Grant.'

I have myself had time to check both tracks - we actually will be carrying a review for the full Gorillaz album next month - and I do have to acknowledge a very close resemblance between the 2 tracks.

EMI are yet to comment.
-------------------------------------
This Blog was uploaded by a member of the Scorpio PR Staff
To Contact The Editor Please Use This Address: Ian@Scorpio-promotions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment